Portsmouth, NH – 27 August 2009 – Babysleepbags, official supplier of award-winning natural merino baby sleeping bags and baby swaddles from Merino Kids of New Zealand, today announced that the Merino Kids Baby Sleep Bag is the first sleep bag in the world to be awarded the new British Standards Institute (BSI) certification for baby sleep bag safety.
The BSI is the national standards body of the United Kingdom. In April it published a new standard specification for baby sleeping bags that gives minimum safety requirements relating to: chemical hazards, thermal hazards (overheating), entrapment, entanglement, choking, ingestion and suffocation hazards, structural integrity and flammability.
The BSI carefully examined and tested a number of major brand sleeping bags on the market and awarded Merino Kids with the first-ever BSI certification for baby sleep bag safety.
Selina Russell from the committee which developed the code of practice which led to the new British Standard says, “Merino Kids products are so good they met the new standard before it was even developed. Everyone knows the importance of babies sleeping safely, and I am convinced that Merino Kids in combination with the endorsement of the British Standard will give the peace of mind that every parent needs.”
The Merino Kids baby sleep bag offers safer baby sleep in the following ways:
- The Merino Kids baby sleep bag is worn over sleepwear and takes the place of top sheets, blankets and comforters which can cover a baby’s head. Head covering is identified as a risk factor of SIDS.
- The contoured bodice of the Merino Kids baby sleep bag fits snugly around a baby’s chest and neckline and the fabric stays clear of their face when they twist and turn.
- The natural merino fabric will readily absorb and release moisture up to 35 percent of its own weight to help prevent a baby from overheating, compared with polyester fabrics which are typically as low as one percent absorption. Overheating is a significant risk factor for SIDS.
- The sleeveless design of the Merino Kids baby sleep bag allows for free circulation of air which further reduces the risk of overheating.
- Made entirely of natural fiber, the Merino Kids baby sleep bag is safe to use for babies with allergies, eczema and sensitive skin. It contains no polyesters.
- Merino fabric is naturally fire-retardant and the Merino Kids baby sleep bag is rated low fire risk. It has not been treated with the fire-proofing chemicals commonly applied to polyester that can irritate baby skin.
Amie Nilsson, founder of Merino Kids, said, “I am delighted that our Merino Kids Baby Sleep Bag has been certified as meeting the world’s most stringent baby sleep bag safety standard. It confirms once again that our award-winning 100% natural merino baby sleeping bags provide safer sleep for babies. Parents get a good night’s sleep with the peace of mind that their baby isn’t too hot or too cold and their baby’s head isn’t going to be covered by blankets.”
Babysleepbags is an official supplier of award-winning natural merino baby sleeping bags and baby swaddles from Merino Kids of New Zealand. These world-best baby products are available on-line at Babysleepbags.com for delivery to customers throughout the United States and from Babysleepbags.co.uk for delivery to customers in the United Kingdom, Europe, Canada and world wide.